It's time for a job. Really. The things I've done/offered to do in the last month for money is sad. I've taken to babysitting and mowing lawns. Things I would have gladly done when I was, oh, fourteen. I had a job that paid more when I was fifteen. That's right, I washed dishes at my mom's preschool. I even had a sexy hairnet.
I'm hearing from the boy that everyone has to pay their dues. That maybe I should just get a job somewhere, even if it sucks and I have it, because this may lead to other jobs. He likes to send me forwards that describe all the jobs celebrities had before they were celebrities--ditch digging, mortician assistant, towel boy, etc. But I have paid my dues already. Honest. I used to spend my entire summer babysitting for four kids--when I was twelve! I washed dishes. I worked at a paper correlating plant. That was a blast because I got to wake up at 4am to endure hundreds of paper cuts as I folded and sorted paper. I worked at a greenhouse watering plants for hours at a time in a million degree weather. I thought I was getting a job at another greenhouse that turned out to be a tree factory. I would fill tree orders. Run around looking for a dogwood or a birch or a canadian elm for eight hours a day. That would make anyone want to kill themselves. I was a dishwasher for two summers. I was a phone operator/fitting room attendant/bitch at Target. I was an office assistant for four summers at a migrant school, enduring a new boss each year who knew less than I did about the place. I was a server at Happy Chef--the place where folks go when they decide to leave the trailer park for a fancy dinner out. Oh yes, and I endured all kinds of thoughtful remarks as I served beer to drunk boys at the strip club. Hmm..then there was last summer when I became typing/homework bitch for the ex-pastor in a wheelchair. He tried to get me to do his homework. He would think at about 3 words a minutes. We took 3 months to finish a single 10 page paper. I never wanted to shoot myself more. And then I dealt with 18 year olds who didn't understand what "mandatory attendance policy" and "no late work" meant. So yes, yes, I have paid my dues. Now it's time for a job where people appreciate me and let me use the education I will be paying off for the next 20-30 years. I want someone who gets me coffee when I want it. I want health insurance and, I dare say it, dental insurance. I want paid holidays and vacation time. I want an hour lunch and a comfy chair. I want money. Real money. Maybe even a 401K. I want to sell out to the corporate world if it means profit sharing and company picnics. So...who wants me?
I'm hearing from the boy that everyone has to pay their dues. That maybe I should just get a job somewhere, even if it sucks and I have it, because this may lead to other jobs. He likes to send me forwards that describe all the jobs celebrities had before they were celebrities--ditch digging, mortician assistant, towel boy, etc. But I have paid my dues already. Honest. I used to spend my entire summer babysitting for four kids--when I was twelve! I washed dishes. I worked at a paper correlating plant. That was a blast because I got to wake up at 4am to endure hundreds of paper cuts as I folded and sorted paper. I worked at a greenhouse watering plants for hours at a time in a million degree weather. I thought I was getting a job at another greenhouse that turned out to be a tree factory. I would fill tree orders. Run around looking for a dogwood or a birch or a canadian elm for eight hours a day. That would make anyone want to kill themselves. I was a dishwasher for two summers. I was a phone operator/fitting room attendant/bitch at Target. I was an office assistant for four summers at a migrant school, enduring a new boss each year who knew less than I did about the place. I was a server at Happy Chef--the place where folks go when they decide to leave the trailer park for a fancy dinner out. Oh yes, and I endured all kinds of thoughtful remarks as I served beer to drunk boys at the strip club. Hmm..then there was last summer when I became typing/homework bitch for the ex-pastor in a wheelchair. He tried to get me to do his homework. He would think at about 3 words a minutes. We took 3 months to finish a single 10 page paper. I never wanted to shoot myself more. And then I dealt with 18 year olds who didn't understand what "mandatory attendance policy" and "no late work" meant. So yes, yes, I have paid my dues. Now it's time for a job where people appreciate me and let me use the education I will be paying off for the next 20-30 years. I want someone who gets me coffee when I want it. I want health insurance and, I dare say it, dental insurance. I want paid holidays and vacation time. I want an hour lunch and a comfy chair. I want money. Real money. Maybe even a 401K. I want to sell out to the corporate world if it means profit sharing and company picnics. So...who wants me?
4 Comments:
Who wants you? No one I can think of!
Man, I wish I could post stupid comments anonymously because I'm a big pussy.
I'll open a bakery of my own and hire you to taste the cakes.
I do like me a good cake.
Post a Comment
<< Home